Around the globe and across a wide variety of industry sectors, our IP practice collaborated with our corporate and other practice areas of our firm to provide integrated legal services for our clients and friends on exciting, challenging, and innovative M&A transactions, and shared many successes throughout 2018. Once again, your transactions propelled Hogan Lovells to top 10 M&A rankings globally, as well as top 10 rankings in Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, and Russia.
We are pleased to share with you our 2018 M&A Year in Review which includes our 2019 M&A Outlook and highlights several of our shared successes. Our IP practice collaborated in many of these transactions including:
- We advised KBR, Inc. on its US$355m acquisition of SGT, Inc., an engineering, mission operations, scientific, and IT service solutions provider to the U.S. government
- We advised Smiths Group Plc, a leading technology-driven global engineering company, on its US$345m acquisition of United Flexible, Inc., a maker of parts for aircraft engines, from private equity firm Arlington Capital Partners.
- We advised Daimler on the creation of a joint venture with BMW to form Europe’s leading innovative mobility services business.
- We advised FlixBus on the international roll-out of its services into other markets, including the acquisitions of numerous ticket platforms and bus companies across Europe, its expansion into the railroad business, and its entry into the U.S. market.
- We advised global commerce leader eBay on its acquisition of the Japan business of Giosis Pte. Ltd., including the Qoo10.jp platform.
- We advised Walmart Inc. on its US$16bn acquisition of a 77% stake in Flipkart Group, a prominent India-based e-commerce marketplace company.
- IPMT collaborated on our annual LS&HC Horizons publication, a compilation of our global team’s perspectives on more than 30 hot topics impacting the industry such as digital health, cell and gene therapies, drug pricing, and M&A trends.
- We advised Honeywell on its approximately €425m acquisition of warehouse automation solutions provider Transnorm from IK Investment Partners.
- We advised SABIC, a global leader in diversified chemicals, on its landmark joint venture with ExxonMobil.
- We advised GE Capital, the financial services division of General Electric (GE), on the sale of a US$1.5bn health care equipment finance (HEF) portfolio from GE Capital’s HEF business to TIAA Bank, a provider of nationwide banking and lending services. Additionally, we advised GE Capital on a five-year vendor financing agreement with TIAA Bank for U.S. customers of GE Healthcare.
- We advised long-standing clients Lloyds Banking Group and Scottish Widows on the acquisition of Zurich’s UK workplace pensions and savings business.
- We advised Adobe Inc. on its US$1.68bn acquisition of Magento Commerce and its US$4.75bn acquisition of Marketo, Inc. The Marketo transaction is Adobe’s largest acquisition to date.
Read the full report here
For more analysis, visit Deal Dynamics, our M&A data tool featuring interactive maps and deal tables of cross-border M&A activity by market and industry sectory with editorial content providing insights on the most recent trends in cross-border M&A.