Emerging technologies. Rapidly evolving markets. Changing regulatory frameworks. Businesses around the globe are affected by these influences and intellectual property (IP) plays a central role. On 4th November, Hogan Lovells, Santa Clara University’s High Tech Law Institute, and the Berkeley Center for Law and Technology are bringing together the IP industry’s thought leaders to discuss these issues and start a conversation around how to turn them into IP opportunities.
As part of the event, a live video conference will connect Silicon Valley and London. This panel, featuring speakers in both locations, will provide updates on patent reform in Europe (namely, the Unitary Patent) and the U.S. (namely, patent reform legislation), and a dialogue about those reforms’ impacts on international patent strategy. The conference will be held concurrently with Hogan Lovells’ annual Patent Seminar in London.
For the second year, the Law in the Global Marketplace Symposium will offer an interactive, full-day CLE program and will feature four panel discussions and multiple keynote addresses on trending issues. Among the audience will be top professionals in IP, technology, and business including executives, general counsel, IP counsel, and a wide scope of technology players in global IP.
Symposium topics will include:
- Patent Office Invalidation Procedures: A Comparative Analysis
- Patent Reform in the EU and US: Impacts on International Patent Strategy
- Peering Over the Horizon: Key IP Issues for Cutting-Edge Technologies
- Technology Transfer, Licensing and Trade Secret Protection in China
- Comparative Patent Quality
- FRAND Commitments – and Obligations – for Standards-Essential Patents
- Hacking Tech’s Diversity Problem: Applying Bias Interrupters
- Developments in Digital Copyright
For the inaugural Law in the Global Marketplace Symposium in 2014, more than 140 senior business executives and in-house counsel came together and talked about hot-button issues relating to intellectual property law. The event culminated with a candid and wide-ranging keynote talk by Randall Rader, then-Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
For more information about what’s in store this year and to register your interest in attending, contact LITGM@hoganlovells.com
Venue: Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, CA 95053